Sunday, July 27, 2008

Rice Croquettes

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Most people are familiar with the traditional rice ball. I love them. I love the Sicilian ones too (shhh! Nanny wouldn't be happy about that! lol) but this is something much more simple than that. This is a great way to use up leftover rice, they can be a great appetizer maybe even served with a dipping sauce of your choice or you could have them the way Nanny intended...as they are. I don't remember that there was ever a actual reason or occasion that she made these. She made them, we ate them, end of story. They are delicious and simple and again remind me of my childhood. Thanks again to Mom and to my Aunt Maryann who helped me out and told me how to make the croquettes.

Ingredients

1 cup of Carolina rice, prepared according to box and rinsed (makes 3 cups cooked)***

1 egg, beaten

About 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese

3/4 cup - 1 cup plain breadcrumbs

Fresh or dried chopped parsley, optional

salt and pepper, to taste

Canola oil, for frying

***NOTE - Rice must be very cold and dry. Cook rice the day before and refrigerate for best results.


Directions

1. Add all ingredients (except for oil) to bowl with cold rice and mix. Rice should stick together nicely. If mixture is too wet add more breadcrumbs.

2. Add oil to a nonstick pan and let it get hot enough for frying.

3. Meanwhile, form rice mixture into egg shaped patties.

4. When oil is hot, gently place croquettes into oil. Do not touch them until nicely browned, then flip.

5. Place croquettes on a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.

Makes approx 15 croquettes.


ENJOY!!!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

8 comments:

Lucy..♥ said...

Michelle, those look wonderful!! And... they're a favorite in this household as well ;-)

I made them recently myself, I have a photo ready to go, but it's needing a write up... that's the problem when the recipe is in my head.. Mom never had anything written, & I was taught that way.. it's one reason for me having a blog, so my kids will have the recipes too ;-)

Michele said...

Looks like we grew up with a lot of the same dishes. If you'd like drop me an email and we can chat!

A.C. said...

Mmm those look good, nothing better than crispy outside and yummy rice inside.

Thistlemoon said...

Those look great! I have never made them like this before, but now I know what to do with leftover rice!

petite fleur said...

I grew up eating rice but don't believe I've ever had rice croquettes. How interesting !

Unknown said...

I think i will try to make these rice croquettes soon, they sound easy enough :-)

A.C. said...

Mmm, at this very moment, I am typing this as I'm chewing one of these... I made herbed rice last night and had a bunch leftover... made these for breakfast, odd I know.. but so VERY GOOD!

kamico said...

My family makes a very similar recipe--usually for holiday meals. The recipe originally came from a great aunt on my mother's side who hailed from outside Naples.