Monday, October 6, 2008

Chicken with Apple Cider Gravy

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Fall is finally here!!! That makes me happy because fall is my favorite season! I love the cooler weather, the warmer clothes and beautiful colors...not to mention the best foods! I would take soup or stew over something on the grill anyday! To celebrate the season, I decided to make a dish that reminded me of fall. I found the recipe for Chicken with Apple Cider Gravy on Every Day with Rachael Ray. The recipe was written to include two sides, rice pilaf and string beans.

The recipe is definitely a keeper although I did make some very minor adjustments to suit our tastes.

  • I used chicken cutlets instead of breasts (next time I will just pound out some breasts because these were too thin and they didn't get good color b/c I was afraid they would dry out, they seemed to be thinner than usual.
  • I boiled the string beans and seasoned them with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper and left out the scallions.
  • The reserved scallions were used in the rice and in the gravy which worked out very well.
  • I added one teaspoon of butter to the gravy at the very end. It cut the tanginess of the cider a little.

The flavor of the cider gravy reminded me of the sweet yet tangy flavor of capers. It was sweet but not too sweet. I really liked it. I wouldn't consider this rice pilaf, it was very creamy, more like cheesy rice but I did enjoy it. Steve didn't love the rice as much as I did.

Just in case you didn't follow the link above, here's the recipe!

Chicken with Apple Gravy, Rice Pilaf and Green Beans

Rachael Ray

From Every Day with Rachael Ray

October 2007

Serves 4

Ingredients
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup unfiltered apple cider
1 pound green beans, trimmed
2 scallions, chopped


1. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium heat. Add the rice and toast until light brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in 2 1/2 cups broth and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 15 minutes. During the last 3 minutes of cooking, stir in the peas and cheese.

2. While the rice cooks, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add to the skillet and cook until the juices run clear, 5 to 6 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

3. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the skillet, then whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the apple cider and 1 cup chicken broth and cook until slightly thickened; season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.

4. While the chicken cooks, in a large saucepan, bring 1 inch of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans, cover and cook until al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain the beans and return to the saucepan. Toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and the scallions; season with salt and pepper.

5. Pour the apple gravy over the chicken and serve the rice and green beans alongside.

4 comments:

Bob said...

Looks good. I love chicken and apple together.

Spryte said...

That looks yummy!!

Bob said...

That looks wicked good. I love chicken and cider together, it's a great combo.

Sisters Savings said...

Looks delicious! I agree...fall is the best! Fall food is also the best! I will definitely be making this!