Thursday, November 6, 2008

Poor Man's Carbonara

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I expected election day to be a long night that wouldn't give me any time to cook. On the news they talked about the lines and all of the people who waited hours to cast their vote. Luckily for us we only waited for 5 minutes at the firehouse and that made me happy but I didn't have anything planned for dinner. After a quick rummage through the fridge I decided that I could make carbonara...without the bacon/pancetta. I never keep bacon on hand and I didn't have anymore pancetta so I figured, what the heck and made it anyway. Honestly, it didn't NEED the bacon in my opinion and considering that Steve finished off the rest of the pound of pasta, he didn't need the bacon either! So the next time you're looking to whip up something fast and don't have all the ingredients, it's okay. As long as the ingredients that you do have are fresh and can stand on their own you'll be okay.

It really doesn't get any easier than this and it's great for the vegetarians in your life!


Ingredients:

1 pound spaghetti
4 large eggs
2-3 tablespoons milk
1 handful chopped fresh parsley
1 cup parmigiano reggiano, grated
1/2 cup locatelli romano, grated
salt pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter

Directions:

1. Cook pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water.
2. While pasta cooks scramble eggs in a bowl with milk (I used skim plus).
3. Drain pasta and add butter and a couple of tablespoons of oil to the pasta pot. Add cooked pasta and slowly add in eggs, tossing around to coat the pasta. Add the cheese, pepper and parsley. Toss until well coated.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Bob said...

Don't need... bacon? Sorry kiddo, but you lost me there. Heh, kidding, kidding. That looks wicked good, I will have to point my vegetarian sister to it, she loves pasta. Between this and Shane making cabonara a while ago I am dying to make it myself.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I fixed the tag link on my blog --sorry about that! Hope you'll play along!

Hugs, Pat

Michele said...

Pat I'd love to!!! Thanks! I felt so silly asking b/c what if you didn't mean me??? LMAO!

Bob - Sometimes you have to make use of what you got! It's not something I grew up on but my grandmother always added an egg to things so it's a taste I'm quite fond of. Can't wait to see yours! I love your step by step pics.

Theresa said...

Sometimes depending on what you have on hand, you can do without. As long as it's still good, that's all that matters!

Anonymous said...

Quick and easy ;)