Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Blueberry Ricotta Cake

Found another great recipe from Stacey Snacks.  She found the recipe from the King Arthur Flour website and added some lemon zest to it.  I added the zest to mine too and really loved it. Stacey says to use fresh ricotta but I had some part skim ricotta I wanted to use up in my fridge and it worked just fine.  I'm sure the fresh ricotta will make it even better but don't shy away from trying this if you don't have it.  I prefer eating it at room temperature but when I brought some of it to work some people said they prefer it cold.  So you decide how you like it.  I love the crispy sugar top!








Blueberry Ricotta Cake
from Stacey Snacks

Ingredients:

Batter:
1 cup All-Purpose Flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
zest of a lemon
3/4 cup fresh blueberries

Topping:
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups ricotta cheese
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 9 x 2-inch pan

For the batter: In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the milk, shortening, egg and vanilla, beating till smooth. Spoon the batter into a greased 9 x 9 x 2-inch pan Sprinkle the blueberries over the batter.

For the topping: In a small bowl, beat the eggs till frothy, then beat in the cheese, sugar and vanilla. Spread this mixture evenly over the blueberries.

Bake the cake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until it's golden brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and cool to lukewarm before serving.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe.


10 comments:

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Why haven't I made this? I saw it on Stacey's blog too but haven't gotten around to it. There are blueberries in the freezer waiting for me.

Dajana said...

Looks so delicious. I'd love to try making it.

AllThingsYummy said...

Yum, I've got to make this. I have blueberries waiting in my fridge. Looks delicious.

Claudia said...

A must-do. Saw it on Stacey's blog and must be scatterbrained. I usually make anything that say "ricotta" in it. Glad to hear it works with skim - because right now - that's what I have.

Patti T. said...

This looks so delicious, I too have blueberries in the freezer. I will have to remember to try this as soon as I get some ricotta.

Ellie said...

I love any cake with ricotta in it!! Looks so moist and wonderful :)

Anonymous said...

Love anything with ricotta. This looks amazing!

Simi said...

Hi Michele tried this cake...t'was amazing!...can we substitute ricotta with mascarpone ...

Simi said...

Hi michele , can we use mascarpone instead of ricotta .?

Unknown said...

I have not tried it with mascarpone cheese but if you do decide to try it let us know how it turns out!